Welcome to the Week Of April 8th in Digital Learning In North Reading. As we move into spring we have a several exciting topics this week.
Parent University Update
Parent University on April 6th Clips from the Sessions on Social Media and the 1:1 Learning Program will be available on the blog in the coming week.
April Tech Buzz Professional Development Week Of April 8th
On April 10th Jim Sgroi will will provide a professional development session on the use UDL strategies to move away from traditional presentations from 2:30-3:30 in the Media Center classroom at the MS/HS. On April 11th Chris Lindsay will be doing a training on QR codes in the classroom at 3:15 at the Batchelder school and also on April 11th Kathy Dasho will have her session on the use of video in the classroom for teachers from 2:30-3:30 in room 110 at the high school. Please consult this link for all upcoming sessions. bit.ly/techbuzzsessions
Digital Learning Work In Elementary Schools This Week
Hood Digital Learning
● 5th Grade will be creating instructional videos to teach 4th graders about figurative language using WeVideo.
● First Graders will be creating Earth Day Celebration Videos to teach others how we can protect our planet.
● Fourth graders will be creating Book Trailers using iMovie
Batch Digital Learning
● Grade 1 – Mammal Research Project – Students will be using PebbleGo for research, coming to the Makerspace to create a habitat for their mammal and creating an eBook using Book Creator for a culminating project.
● Grade 2 – Biography Project – Students are using Google Docs and iPad apps like ChatterKids, PicCollage, and Seesaw to showcase what they have learned about an important figure in history.
● Grade 3 – Pilgrim Project – Students are creating the scenery and script for a stop motion animation about their voyage on the Mayflower or their life in Plymouth.
● Grade 4 – Students are completing a Scratch practice project and will then use Scratch to program characters to share what they’ve learned about a National Park.
● Grade 5 – Explorers Project – Students completed online research using the library databases and are now using the information to create interactive maps using Google Tour Builder
Little Digital Learning
● Fifth grade students will be beginning computer based MCAS testing on April 9th.
● Fourth grade students will be working on building their moon bases as a part of their FIRST Lego league Mission Moon robotics teams.
● Grade 3 is completing a Makerspace challenge that follows up on their most recent unit, Forces In Our Environment.
● Mrs. Reed’s class and Ms. Barrett’s class will be participating in a live SKYPE call with world renowned scientist and conservationist, Jane Goodall.
North Reading Public Schools Receives Citation For Participation In First STEM Week
This week the NRPS received a citation from the Governor’s office for our STEM event during the STEM Week In October. The North Reading Public Schools “STEAM Night” event was a huge success and collaboration of STEAM focused curriculum areas. We look forward to putting on a similar event in the coming fall.
Donation of Robotics Tables To High School Robotics Program
The Digital Learning and Entrepreneurship department was the recent recipient of 3 robotics building tables which can be used in the Robotics courses to support building robotics. A large thank you to the Reading/North Reading Chamber of Commerce for this donations and the work of Lisa Eagan who has been a great collaborator with the schools.
#STEAMCS Chat on Twitter 4/10/19
On Wednesday night I will be hosting a Twitter chat on STEAM and Computer Science topics. Please use the #STEAMCS hashtag to follow along or participate. It is a great opportunity to share resources, learning experiences and stay connected with the most relevant conversations in education.